JANUARY, 2017 NEI celebrated the completion of Union Crossing II, involving the $20.2 Million adaptive reuse of the historic Duck Mill. Located in Lawrence, MA at the corner of Union and Island Streets, this project is the second phase of a two-mill renovation.
Duck Mill originally opened in 1896 to manufacture a heavy woven canvas called Duck used to make sails, tents, etc. Manufacturing stopped in about 1950, and two floors of the building were occupied for 30 years by a furniture show room. From that point, the building was mostly vacant until it was purchased by Lawrence Community Works in 2008.
The challenging conversion and restoration of the decayed five-story 132,000 SF historic mill building included the creation of 73 family friendly affordable apartments and 35,000 SF of commercial space. The space features original elements of the building including over-sized windows with views of the North Canal and the Merrimack River, 12-foot high ceilings, wide open wood floors, and exposed wooden columns.
NEI is happy to have partnered with Lawrence Community Works and Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects on creating more affordable homes for the community while contributing to the redevelopment of Lawrence’s historic Mill District.